Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Banana Pudding (reduced fat version)

Ingredients:
  • reduced fat vanilla wafer cookies
  • large box (5 oz) of reduced fat or sugar-free vanilla or banana flavored instant pudding mix (I only used a small box (3.5 oz) of pudding mix, since I was using a small dish)
  • regular size tub of reduced fat or sugar-free whipped cream
  • 2 large, well ripened banana

Directions:

  1. Line dish with cookies. (In the pictures shown, I used about a 6x9 dish, which was lined with 26 cookies)
  2. Prepare pudding mix as instructed on the box.
  3. Add whipped cream and whisk until blended.
  4. Thinly slice 1 banana and layer pieces on top of cookies in your dish. (I personally skip this step. If you decide to skip it as well, you will only need 1 banana for the entire pudding)
  5. Pour half of the pudding/cream mix on top of the sliced bananas.
  6. Repeat layer of sliced bananas (using the other banana) and the rest of the pudding/cream mix.
  7. If you are making a larger dish, you would add the other half of your whipped cream on the top of the pudding mixture here.
  8. Place 10-18 cookies in a plastic zip bag and crush. Sprinkle crushed cookie crumbs on top of pudding.
  9. Let sit for a little while so the cookies will be moist. Keep refrigerated!

Hubby’s Yum-O Meter
(on a scale of 1-10)
10

This recipe is so easy and came straight from by brain. Nothing has to 'be measured' (which I love). It was originally given to me by my grandmother, Munner, who makes the sugar-free version for my grandfather and me often. There are actually a few different ways you can make this. I prefer to use the banana flavored pudding because I don't add as many 'real' bananas. I also leave the layer of whipped cream off of the top, because when making it in a smaller dish, there is no room to add it. You can also add another layer of cookies after the pudding mixture when using a larger dish. If I make one to take somewhere, I usually use vanilla or cheesecake flavored pudding with 2 bananas and it would be layered like this: cookies, sliced banana, pudding/cream mix, cookies, sliced banana, pudding/cream mix, other half of whipped cream and topped with ground cookies! My mouth is watering now!

No comments:

Post a Comment