Wednesday, May 6, 2009

EZ Tomato Basil Chicken

Ingredients:
  • 1 package of boneless skinless chicken lean chicken breast tenders
  • 1 1/2 cups (half of a 28 ounce can)crushed tomatoes with basil (I couldn't find this so I got a 14 ounce can of low sodium diced tomatoes and put them in the food processor and then added my own basil to them)
  • 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onions

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven at 350 degrees
  2. Bring a pan, sprayed with nonstick spray, to high heat on the stove. Add onions and cook just until they begin to brown, about 3 minute.

  3. (optional step) Pour tomatoes into medium bowl and add basil, low sodium salt and pepper.

  4. Pour half of the tomatoes into a medium baking pan. Lay chicken in the pan and top with onions.

  5. Pour the rest of the tomatoes evenly over chicken and onions. Bake in oven for about 30 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.6. Allow chicken to cool and sauce to thicken slightly before serving.

Hubby’s Yum-O Meter
(on a scale of 1-10)
9

4 Servings
Nutrient Analysis Per Serving (1/4 of the recipe)
175 calories
1.5g fat
251mg sodium
11g carbs
2g fiber
6g sugar
28g protein

3 WW points!

*You may notice in the picture, a LOT of the moisture cooks out of the chicken, so next time I am going to try and cook this in aluminum foil and see if that doesn't help keep it moist. It wasn't dry, but I think would have been better if it were a little more moist.

Serve with veggies, I served cream corn with mine because I had been craving it! This recipe came from Hungry Girl 200 under 200 cookbook. I LOVE this book! I will have more from it to add soon!

1 comment:

  1. YUMMY! I make a version of this all the time. Delish. I too LOVE that book, try the mmmm-azing mushroom tarts, SO good!

    ReplyDelete